.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

gothamwhore

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Deaf Drama Jam


I read this article in the New York Times about the protests at Gallaudet University and found it really educational. It was just interesting to learn more about an often overlooked minority group -- the deaf. The issues they're dealing with at the moment -- defending their culture, determining a stance on various topics, and defining the role the University will play in the community's future -- are all things that other minority groups have had to deal with in the past.

Should all professors be proficient in American Sign Language or should some be able to teach by speaking? Should being deaf be viewed as a disability? Should technology that facilitates hearing be embraced or opposed because it may detract from one's identity as a deaf person?

I thought the topic was interesting. I wish I knew more sign language. It would REALLY help save my voice when I'm trying to have a conversation at a loud bar. Plus, all the deaf guys I've hooked up with were hot, so I guess I'm biased.

I read the article because of the hot shirtless boys in the picture, but continued reading because of the thought-provoking content.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home