.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

gothamwhore

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

"This is Andrea. She's my new Emily"

If you haven't seen The Devil Wears Prada, then you probably don't understand the title of this posting. You also need to haul ass to Blockbuster and watch that shit, because you're missing out.

The line just cracks me up because it (sadly) illustrates how interchangable and replacable people are. Friends are like fashion: "One moment you're in; and the next, you're out." (thanks, Heidi...).

Every year I do a 'spring cleaning' of my friends. Typically it happens in the spring, but this year I have the urge to get the ball rolling ahead of time. This year, I've spouted numerous theories around the kinds of people you should have as your friend, the different types of friends there are, and possible ways you can still be friends with someone, if you still want to be.

As people come in and out of your life or as peoples' true colors begin to float to the surface, it makes sense to take some time to evaluate whether you want to continue being friends with certain people. I think we all have people around us who just bring out the worst in us. If you consider one of those people your 'friend', then you might want to take a second look. Alternatively, there are people who -- when you're around them -- inspire you to be the best person you could possibly be. It only makes sense to spend more time with them, and find others like them... wherever they're hiding!

It's unfortunate when people don't have at least one friend on whom they can completely rely. In most cases it may be that this person doesn't live in the same city as you anymore, but still... it's unfortunate. Having a slew of 'club friends' is entertaining, but can be vapid most of the time. If you ended up in the hospital, would those people care enough to visit you? Probably not. While I have my fair share (ok, more than my fair share) of 'club friends', at least I know that our 'friendship' is superficial at best and treacherous at worst. They serve their purpose and are employed accordingly.

But I take solace in knowing exactly who my real friends are -- the ones on whom I can rely no matter what. For instance, anyone who would bail me out of a prison in Staten Island at 4:00 in the morning is a true friend. Because honestly, nobody wants to be in Staten Island at any time of the day (especially not the dead bodies washing up on the shores there).

So with the new year approaching, it's time for some spring cleaning. Out with the old and in with the new. On the outs are the socially awkward, the devious back-stabbers, and the overall liabilities. Moreover, anyone with a general disregard for my feelings is pretty much going to get cut. Life's too short. Why not spend it with people you genuinely care about instead of people who are just there to take up space until you find better friends. Start now!

::Reaches for a broom::

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home